the clock strikes midnight... as the dream slips through your head... this is no dress rehearsal... there is no second chance...

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

It's not over..



My first marathon.. & got a good feel of what full marathon is all about... and i want to do it again next year.

started without doing much warming up, which is very bad, i know..

i did what i normally would do..that is, to start slow.. afterall i got a long way to go. But Kev and me decided to pace with 2 guys (wearing blue saucony singlet), steady pacing and quite comfortable. But, not for long, entering Marina Centre, i needed to pee. So Kev continued with his run..

Sure need to pee one! so inconvenient! Everytime like that! the urge is always there in the begining of the run. The first portable toilet, was locked, ran another 150m, then got one ..

Continued running.. at my own pace.. and slowly build up and maintained my speed. My target was : as long as i reach 20km mark in less that 3hrs, i should be doing fine.
I just want to reach the finishing line before 1pm, cos i want to eat lunch!! That was all i aimed for.. well of cos.. i also want the medal and finisher's t shirt!

Caught up with kev somewhere after the 10km mark.. he was complaining of pain.. cramps on calf and thigh muscles. It was the same pain as the one he had when we ran to Orchard the week before. He had to stop to stretch before he could go on furher.. and the cramps were really bad cos he had to stop quite frequently. I ran ahead .. but waited for him at 15km mark, and later on at 21km.

As there were no fixed medical stations along the running route, I was quite worried for him. Hmmm.. and worried for myself too, if i got an asthma attack.. they are no where to be seen. The ambulances a located at road junctions.. and the first aiders were juniors from secondary schools- St. Johns Amb Brigade, standing near at each drink station. I bet they don't have emergency equipment with them. Also, they don't seem to have enough -the need to have item: deep heat rub or spray with them.
Or they don't have it with them at all.. on their small wooden table, I saw a packet of food and a roll of Oreo biscuits on top of it.. wah.. so hungry already that time (almost 4hrs), I asked a member if he could spare one or two pieces of OREO biscuit, but no... the boy said that he couldn't give me cos the biscuits was part of their lunch package.. so sad.. i got no choice but to eat that yucky salty powergel. The rasberry flavour tasted like cough syrup.. yucks! I tried to refrained for eating banana.. but i got no choice, so got to eat to tahan my hunger.. i hate bananas.. thinking of it makes me want to puke..

and yes, i managed to keep up with my target time: 3hrs exactly reached 20km mark. So i thought i jus maintain the same speed. Then it started to rain..

Reunite again at 21km, he tried to run but again he was hit with the cramps. So he told me to go on... so i continued running. We met again after the turning point at the lagoon, at his 25km mark. I was still running till i reached 30km, when i decided to walk and refuel with that yucky powergel.


I thought i could pick myself up to run the next 10km. But it was so difficult, and heavy on the thighs. So i ran a bit, walked a lot. And in the end, i power walk all the way to the end, leaving the rest 300m or so to run in style , cos i just remembered that there'll be photographer waiting... the timing i clocked unofficially was 6:45 hahaha... yahooo!!! .

Now aching all over the lower limbs,but still able to walk and do some housework the next morning. No pain no gain la..uh.. kevin said that he cried and laugh altogether .. suffering from the pain and the way he struggled to run. Truely, we enjoyed this run no matter how long we took, and no regrets at all.

Alhamdullillah., Thank God, nothing extraordinary happened.. no asthma attacks, no major injuries..and the weather was fantastic!

Kevin took MC for 1 day, and I was lucky to have 2 days off from work.

No comments: