the clock strikes midnight... as the dream slips through your head... this is no dress rehearsal... there is no second chance...

Saturday, August 18, 2007

the patient died..

on my last night, about 2am, my colleague came to me .. said that the patient requested to speak to his son. cos he said that he's dying.. i said ok .. let's call him up but most of my colleagues were against my decision. it was too late to call the family.. and anyway, the patient always request for the same thing almost everyday. so we all chose to ignore.

the patient, was planned to be discharged today, saturday .. either back home or hospice. i was looking forward to see him after my 2 days off, but only to find out that he had passed away.

maybe, he knew that there's no one at home waiting for him since his wife is currently lying at SGH. and he knew that he's condition couldn't take him any further.

this is the same patient, i made that medication error. the one that i had to write up the incident report, which till now.. i have yet to complete. I hope my error did not contribute to his death.

i regret not calling his son on the night he requested for it. i should have just gone with my gut feelings.. and not listen to my colleagues. :(

No comments: