the clock strikes midnight... as the dream slips through your head... this is no dress rehearsal... there is no second chance...

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

While i was sleeping...

Evernight before turning in, i take 1 or 2 puffs of seretide.. Usually 1 puff is enough to make me sleep comfortably. But lately, my nights have been interrupted, woke up gasping for air. It feels something like when u are holding ur breath in the water till u can't take it, & u have to quickly swim up for air. And, I have to coughout only then, I can breathe again. Breathing is very difficult. Shallow and breathing thro' my mouth. It also feels like as if I have stopped breathing while sleeping. Have I forgotten to breathe while sleeping?

This episodes of breathlessness i have been experiencing it for quite sometime but i dismissed the symptoms as I thought it was jus a typical asthmatic symptoms. Since it has been happening quite frequent now, i am a little bit afaid. See if it recur again tonight.

Or is it because i am tired, too active in the day.. and causes my musles to relax? Nope.. not really.. I have not been that hyperactive as compared to last semester.

Yesterday, I complained to my friends that I felt a deep pain at the lower part of my sternum. And today I felt a sharp pain on the right side of my chest. I do not have breathing problems in school,though i felt a bit sleepy because of the interrupted sleep.

How ah... ? Intended to take my blood pressure this afternoon during my clinical lab session but got no chance to do.

Decided to find out something about sleeping disorders and came across "Sleep Apnea". It says:

"In sleep apnea, your breathing stops or gets very shallow while you are sleeping. Each pause typically lasts 10-20 seconds or more. These pauses can occur 20 to 30 times or more an hour.

The most common type of sleep apnea is obstructive sleep apnea. During sleep, enough air cannot flow into your lungs through your mouth and nose even though you try to breathe. When this happens, the amount of oxygen in your blood may drop. Normal breaths then start again with a loud snort or choking sound.

Your sleep is not restful because:
1-These brief episodes of increased airway resistance (and breathing pauses) occur many times
2-You may have many brief drops in your oxygen levels of the blood.
3-You move out of deep sleep and into light sleep several times during the night, resulting in poor sleep quality.

When your sleep is upset throughout the night, you can be very sleepy during the day. "

Oh yes.. i am always complaining of sleepiness while at school..
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"#1: People with sleep apnea often have loud snoring. However, not everyone who snores has sleep apnea. Some people with sleep apnea don't know they snore.

#2: Sleep apnea happens more often in people who are overweight, but even thin people can have it.

#3: Most people don't know they have sleep apnea. They don't know that they are having problems breathing while they are sleeping.
A family member and/or bed partner may notice the signs of sleep apnea first. "
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- #1: I do not snore
- #2: i am not overweight and i am not thin either.. infact, i have gain a bit of weight.
- #3: No complains from Kev.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
some of the many other features associated with Sleep Apnea are:
Associated features may include:

morning headaches
a dry mouth upon awakening
high blood pressure
irritability
change in personality
depression
heartburn
frequent nocturnal urination (nocturia)
nocturnal snorting, gasping, choking (may wake self up)

------------


Meantime now.. I just have to monitor my nites daily ..but sometime after waking up the next morning, i cannot remember what happened the night before ~
.
Good nite..

1 comment:

The Lonely Runner said...

Sis, u take care ok?