the clock strikes midnight... as the dream slips through your head... this is no dress rehearsal... there is no second chance...

Sunday, January 23, 2005

TLR !! THANK U FOR RUNNING TO RAISE FUNDS FOR THE TSUNAMI VICTIMS!


Stayed overnight at East Coast Park last Friday night to support our friend, The Lonely Runner, who has a big heart, to run 24hrs to raise funds for the Tsunami victims. The moneys collected will be given to our S'pore Red Cross Society. To-date, I do not know how much was the donation amount. But there were so many people at East Coast and the DJ has done a good job by announcing the event for the good cause, I hope it reached more than $10k.
The run started at 9pm on Friday,21 Jan. Ran halfway with TLR and the volunteers,stopped to hang the banner. I did the banner in the afternoon and some part of the paint was still wet. By the time we finished hanging it up, he was running back and we, Kevin, Fd, FD's sis and Fatima cheered and followed running behind the group of runners. Me and Kevin ran while the rest cycled.


It was a meaningful event and was happy that quite a number of runners came to run with him. The wonderful people whom I know came to support were Carin, Tahan, Phillip, Pear, Peter, Chris and a couple few people from whom I met at MR Ultra. I also got to know who Chew and Husnah is.

We went home in the morning and return at abt noon. At that time, he was getting ready for his 11th lap. My leg itched to run but I worry abt my right calf. But when I saw there was only 1 guy to accompany him, I decided to run and dragged Kevin along. Then, Chris came along. I did a full 10k and after 12th lap I gave up at 7km. Then, after that a bit here and there. At some point, I shouted and clapped to get the public to cheer for TLR.

I was afraid that I was too slow for the guys so, I ran ahead a bit. I was glad to have ran at least 1 lap. Another man to thank was Peter! He accompanied TLR most of the time, throughout! There was this veteran chinese lady too... she accompanied in the middle of the night for a couple of laps. Carin too. At that moment, Kevin and I was busy bbq-ing. There were a few who came on Friday night, left but returned the following day to run the last lap to finish the run with TLR. They are all so wonderful. I bet some don't even know TLR but was there to support him. Oh yes, we have the other supporter, the JJC students did their part by performing a mass dance. They really keep the event going too.

At the end of the run, loads of people congratulated him for his excellent iob. He finished hisrun abt 15mins to 9pm, with total dist of 150km. Thank u for running that far. Even if he did not run that many laps, it's ok.. It's running 24hrs! Not checking on the no of laps.

Now, what matters most is the amount of funds collected.

No comments: