the clock strikes midnight... as the dream slips through your head... this is no dress rehearsal... there is no second chance...

Monday, December 27, 2004

26 Dec 2004 - The Ultra Marathon @ MacRitchie

I completed the Ultra Marathon of total distance of 52.5km in the time of 11hours 41mins 47sec. (pending to scan the cert.. ) My first time , running the longest distance in my life.

Started the run abt 10mins after the official time 7am. Warmed up while walking towards MacRicthie Trail and started running from thereon. I paced 2 guys infront of me. They were not wearing a tag so I assumed that they were members of the MR25. Very comfortable with their constant pace. Was doing well but after 1.5km mark, I was slowing down .. found it hard to carry on. Felt so heavy. My mind was telling me "ah... just do 2 rounds, can lah... equivalent to 1/2 marathon..". "Hey.. what's the hurry", my heart was telling me," I have 12 hrs ... jus do this thing!" What more I felt that I was the last to start and with the kind of pace I'm running.. people will be laughing at me.. and maybe they bet that I'll definately be the last to finish.. But what the heck! I was doing it for myself, my own time,own target. But suprisingly, the MR committee and as well as other runners were so encouraging.. , I felt so welcomed and like one of them.. They never fail to give words of encouragement each time I began another round. Thanks to those runners to encourage me when they ran passed me. I was so motivated and glad to have done this. At the back of my mind, I thought of Kevin. He should be here doing this as well. He will love it. An Ultimate Experience for us both.

Well of course, I had planned in mind to complete 1 round of 10.5km in 2hrs. To run 3 laps in the first half of the day. Balance 2 laps in the 2nd half. Lunch break at 1pm and to continue again at 2pm. That would give me sufficient time to complete 2 laps at a more relaxing pace. Was telling myself that I can forget doing the 5th lap if I reached the end point after the 4th lap, at 5pm. Simply because I know that the further I ran, the longer i would drag my time.

I didn't see anybody with number tags running in the trails. TLR called to informed me of the route I should not take. When I passed the water point outside SICC after the 3km mark, the uncles said to keep left. And that was what I did.. into the Terentang Trail. This was the trail TLR warned me about. This trail eventually would lead me the Ranger Post. This trail was so deserted until I reached a point when I saw this man, named Daniel.. coming from the left side of the trail. He got a tag on. So I called out " I am going at the wrong route or was it you?" Found out that he is one of the regulars too. He told me that I just did extra abt 2km. He explained that right after the waterpoint, jus run straight toward the end of road and it was more than a short cut and less effort needed.. running downslope on a concrete ground! Thank God we met. Else, I'll be doing the rest of the run extra kms. Thanks Daniel (he looks like Dick Lee.) Everbody there eventually knew that I was the only one went out of track.

First lap.. finished in 1hr 50mins. Re-fueled and get started again. Did just that till I stopped for lunch as planned at 1pm. And that was when I completed the 3rd round. (approx 6hrs for 31.5km)

Enjoyed the 1st 3rounds.. the weather was just perfect. Sunny at Golf Link ,windy at Lornie Trail. Very comfortable running.. breathing ok, leg ok.. very happy but it was short-lived when all pain and aches started when I fell downslope after the 2.5km mark on my 2nd lap. It was that only steep downward slope I hate most. As usual the group of casual walkers won't give way and did not even help me up. Shit! My joints! Pain! Thank God only slight bruises on both knees and the side of my left hand. Washed off the cuts when I reached the waterpoint and after that, ran the correct route. It was so much shorter! Wheee!The downslope pavement leds directly to the Ranger Point. So I reached at end point at 1hr 40mins- 2nd lap. Here met up with Sukaimi and another guy, Pear, i think his name was, and the german guy, Chris. They have just finished their 3rd round. I took a break to check my injuries. Pear, thanks for the spray thing. Didn't see Philip around till the end of the day. Congrats to all . Didn't get the pain in my way, singing out loud " Show Me Heaven", "Ode to my Family" ," Sign of Crimson Storm" ," Wasted Time" while running along the most hated trail,MacRitchie Trail on my 3rd round and looking forward for my break.Thinking of what to eat.


Wah.. very lazy to start off for the 4th lap after lunch. Started at 2.45pm. I was thinking again.. deciding whether or not to stop at end of 4th round. If I were to continue, do I have the time to finish the 5th by 7pm? Again at the 3km water point, the official told me if I were to reach end pt round by 5pm.. can forget it. It was true.. I knew that already. I was quite sad.. This was going to be my last lap. I actually broke down at Golf Link.. thinking of the distance.. it's still so far away and after the Golf Link , have to climb up & go through this exposed rooted ground (whatever u called it) .. Cried ah!!! It was such a drag!!! Quite disorientated too. Cannot focus. So I stopped listening to my MP3.

At about 4pm,hungry. Don't really like to eat bananas because it's sticky for my throat. Some people say asthmatic people cannot eat banana. At this time, I reached Lornie trail, 7km mark. They set up another water pt there. I was so relieved. Mr Ee Ah Seng was there. Told him that I'm giving up. After knowing that I'd done 4th, he said that it's possible to reach the start pt by 4.30pm and sufficient time to complete the 5th in the next 2.5hrs, taking into consideration of my conditions. He said that I could even walk to complete. He also told me of the certificate, medal and cert that I'll be receiving if I complete the Ultra! Though he could be a bit long-winded, I thanked him for his advice and all .. so I grabbed the banana and ran off. So motivated by the rewards, I determined to reach at start point by 4.30pm which I did. So relieved. Waste no time., top-up my water bottle and grabbed a honey dew.

On my final lap, I power walked all the way! The officials at the 2-water points was suprised to see me again for the last time. All smiles!

I never anticipated having cramps. What more,muscle tear. Kevin said it was muscle tear. I guess this was what i'm suffering now. I was walking together with 2 young guys, one of whom had bad blisters. Suddenly I felt my muscle moved as like it was being hit. I stopped walking immediately. Did some stretching, pulling and straightened my leg but no use. They thought it was a cramp. I was limping from the MR park to the finishing pt. We walked slowly.. it was 6.30pm. The guys said there's enough time.. But I die-die must reach before 7, else my last 10.5km would not be counted. They were at their 6th lap.

Along the stretch of road towards the finishing pt, Sukaimi,Chris and Pear were waiving at me from afar! If not because of my injured leg, I would have jumped for joy! YEaH!! Yahoo!! Wheee!!

Thank you everybody! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!
_______________________________________________________

Thanks to Kevin for being there, encouraging me via the phonecalls in-between my runs. Estimating my time.. telling me that I can do it, having the confidence in me and you being proud of me and all .. It really boosted my morale and determine to finish the 52.5km for you. Suddenly I miss you.

Thanks to all the guys at MR.. namely, the Malaysian guy, Keng Mui.. (his name sound like that) in blue who ran so swiftly. Thanks for clapping & cheering for me whenever you passed by me. And the two guys,the one with the blister and his friend, for ending the last lap with me. Nice chatting u all of u.

Sukaimi,Pear,Chris and a runner tag no 1234, Mark- thanks for all the support.

Mr Ee for believing that I can do it.

Thank to God, who met me up with Daniel and showed me the actual route.

And last but not least, to an old secondary school friend and his 2yr old niece for bringing MacD's cheeseburger for lunch, what a suprise! Thanks for the food.


Thank to God again.. I've made this far and I'm alright.

Check out The Lonely Runner's and Phillip's blog too on their account of their run and pictures.

______________________________________________________

Now I have to rest.. the pain is really bad. Not the normal cramps. I can't straightened my right leg. I don't mind the ache like we used to get after each long run as it will be gone in a day or two. But this is totally different.... Can cry ahhh!



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were like me in year 2000. Did a five rounds w/o much running experience then. Was roped in by an MR friend for that because she thought I have been running for ages. Was hardly able to walk after the five rounds. I asked Sukaimi if he roped you in for this 'torture'. And, it was Ee Ah Seng you spoke to. I was the one who spoke about the KL Marathon with him before I left.

tahan92

ViXen said...

Harlow Tahan.. Welcome to my blog. Aiyah peiseh leh now that Sukaimi indicated my blog address in his for this event. Sukaimi didn't drag me but u know him la.. always encouraging others to join in. If not for him, I would not be an Ultra runner now.Thanks Sukaimi.
Btw, u mentioned about leaving. U left from where?

Anonymous said...

remeber you were talking to Mr Ee, (we call him Mr Ee). When you were talking to him, already very late, my friend and I approoached him somewhere near the exit of the carpark and asked about KL Marathon. After that we left for home.

Unknown said...

that's actually Ee Ah Seng, not Tee Ah Seng.

ViXen said...

tahan92.. oh ok .. yes I remembered..

hi sehsuan.., welcome-welcome.
& i will edit his name. ur name is not familiar leh.. but seen ur name at sukaimi's blog.. photo courtesy fr u.. so i guessed u must be the photograher! Where's mine? hehehehe