the clock strikes midnight... as the dream slips through your head... this is no dress rehearsal... there is no second chance...

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Morning Run

Wanted so much to run in the Singapore Marathon - 10km event, which was held last Sunday,06 Dec. But I have taken too much time to consider whether or not to run and whether Kevin can run with me too. As a result, we missed the registration date. I am not prepared for the 1/2 marathon. I just want to see if I'm able to finish the 10km at a better time than the Mizuno WaveRun.

On that Sunday morning, we went to MacRitchie. Kevin was so excited to test his new New Balance running shoe which was bought the night before. As planned , we met Sukaimi. He was there earlier. He had just finish running and was perspiring all over. I never run till I have to perspire like that. He didn't seemed to look tired at all. Since we were late, we actually, thought of wanting to walk or do some light jogging at the park, relax and enjoy the scenery. Then, Sukaimi didn't mind running again! Cannot say no... This guy always has a smile on his face.

So we walked to the starting point and off we ran. Checked my watch, it was at 0908hrs. I tried to keep constant pace running behind the guys,and as long as I can see them, I'd be happy. I could still remember when I represent my class in the Inter-Class X-Country Competition. I was in Sec 2 then. Halfway through the run, I cried because I was afraid that i'd be lost in the trail and could never reach the finishing line.

I find it so exhausting running on the trail. Couldn't run steadily and straight due to the muddy ground and oncoming people walking in groups. No choice, had to "elak this", "elak that" (avoid this, avoid that). The upslopes are the toughest- no strength, my legs couldn't take it. Going downslopes- very dangerous because of the lose gravel, stones and uneven ground. I almost slipped. Because of all this challenges and time taken to stop to tie my shoe laces, I was left behind. Worned out after the 2km mark. Soon after that, saw them running back towards my direction, and that was when I decided to turn back and took the other route. I ran on the narrow platform instead which is found to be further, but at least I can run properly, less tiring.

They estimated that we ran about 4 but less than 5km. Sukaimi had uploaded some of our photos in action. Kevin said that I have improved. But I can't tell. I remembered that it was 0948hrs when I stopped. According to Sukaimi, they took abt close to 29mins. Wow! Kevin must be happy to have ran that fast. It must be the new shoe! As for mine, I really don't know how to comment. Overall, I enjoyed my Sunday run. A different experience.

The following day, that was yesterday morning, I ran abt 3.5km. This time, I was really perspiring like hell. Even Kevin noticed it. I didn't break for a short walk or even to tie my shoe lace. I ran from home, my usual route and die-die must reach MacDonalds' at NorthPoint before him. He was coming home from night shift.

We had breakfast at one of the famous roti- kaya cafe at NorthPoint, and will not be going there anymore. My kong-kong can do the roti-kaya-butter spread better!


No comments: